Sunday, August 4, 2019

Ohio State Fair Competition Recap

Yesterday, marked the completion of the first ever tournament Honeycomb has been a part of. We finished a proud 2nd place, and lost a hard fought match in the finals. Video to be edited and uploaded within the week so stay posted!!! Below are a few pics and our schedule from the day.

4:15AM

We had an early start to our day. We spent the morning getting ready for the day, grabbing breakfast, double checking that everything was packed away and that we weren't forgetting any important items that would be needed during the day.

5:15AM

We hit the road for our three and a half hour drive up to Columbus, Ohio.

9:00AM

We arrive at the Ohio State Fair, we get the bin unloaded from the car and meet up with Tad Douce, to receive further information and our entry passes upon arrival.

9:15AM

We make it to our pit area and start to unload and prepare the table for the day ahead.
Our table setup.
The battle box that we would be competing in for the day.

10:00AM

We go to safety inspection and initial weigh in. We pass safety inspection and, weigh in at 2lbs 15oz. We are good to go for the day.
Us after passing safety inspection. 😎

11:00AM

Driver meeting to review rules, regulations, and format. The format is set up so that we alternate between ant-weight (1 lbs bots) bracket, and beetleweight bracket (our division). During a match if 2 bots become immobilized at the same time by getting stuck on each other time will be paused and they will be unstuck from each other and the match will continue, there is a pit that opens on the far side of the arena partway through the match that gets announced 30 seconds before it gets opened. Double elimination bracket setup. Matches start for the day.


11:30AM

Our first match is against Sean V2. A wedge bot. We had a hard fight, but we ended up losing to them after they push us out of the ring after the pit door opens up. We are now in the losers bracket.
Sean V2


1:00PM

Due to technical difficulties from Wee Dotty-M, the other team, they were given till after lunch to repair their bot. We get in the box, and since they didn't have a wedge I quickly got underneath them and flipped them over. They then got counted out for an immobilization count. That's one win in the losers bracket!!!


1:15PM

Since we had a delayed match from before lunch played at 1:00PM, we ended up going straight into our next match at 1:15PM. We were against A new DIG. This bot has a 3" circle saw mounted to a brushless motor on the front of it and uses it to cut into other bots. We have some back and forth until I get a big hit and and flip him over. A new DIG is then counted out for immobilization count. That's 2 wins in the losers bracket!!!



  1:45 PM

Our next match is against Rebecca, a giant pan robot (image unavailable on buildersDB). On the front of Rebecca is a giant aluminum scoop, that is used to deflect blows, and other bots around. I quickly noticed that whenever he accelerated forward there was a small window of when his wedged popped up off the ground, and I was able to exploit that and continually get underneath his wedge for the rest of the match. I end up removing some pieces from him and win in a knockout. That is 3 wins in the losers bracket!!! Since we won the entire losers bracket, we are now entering into semi-finals with a rematch against Sean V2.


2:00PM

Semi-finals match, we are now in a rematch against Sean V2. For the first match I left the control switch on, a switch designed for model planes to allow for slower more precise movement, but for this one I knew that I had to be as fast as I could possibly be so I drove without for the duration of the match. There was a lot of back and forth during this match and he almost pushed me into the pit again, but with the increased speed I was consistantly getting around to his sides and biting his wheels up. The match went the full 3 minutes and under judges decision it went to me!!! We are now 4-1 on the day, going into finals, to contend for first place!!!


2:30PM

Finals match is upon us. We are fighting against H5N1, a vertical bar spinner. During the match for the first part of the match he gets a lot of large hits in on me and eventually rips off my wedge. After the wedge gets ripped off I get a large hit back on him flipping him over. However, he is still able to drive slowly upside down and is not counted out. I have to go back in for another hit because I am currently losing the match and my only hope is to hit him again. I hit him again, and he gets re-righted and continues to pummel me. I eventually get to a point where my entire back plate was destroyed, and I was missing a wheel on my left side. I decide to throw in the towel and tap out so that I can salvage my motors and escs for a rebuild. Congrats to H5N1 on the win!!!





3:00PM

Everything is all said and done, we finished in 2nd place!!! Super proud of how well we did, and I'm super excited to compete at more events in the future. 
Damage that we took from last fight...
  • Lost front wedge
  • Bent weapon axle
  • Left wheel destroyed and removed
  • Back plate destroyed
  • Mid plate cracked
  • Chain has a couple compromised links
All the electronics appear to be working correctly and at worst might need to be rewired. Overall this was an awesome day!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment